A Striking Tuscan Property Near Florence
At first sight, we are in front of a real castle with its battlements and the panoramic tower, which offers sweeping views over the Tuscan countryside.
The villa has major castle vibes. It’s believed to be built on the site of a fortress, in an area rich in historical testimonies, dated back to the 9th century BC with Etruscan and Roman garrisons and remains.
The oldest mention dates back to 925, in the deed of foundation of S. Maria ad Acone Church.
The strong imprint given by the castle melds today with its eclectic appearance and the contamination of styles that have followed one another over the centuries. The latest renovations with the most recent construction and comfort systems make this property extraordinary and unique, in which the past and the present dialogue harmoniously.
The surrounding land is 4.94 hectares and includes:
- the main villa/castle,
- a lemon house (greenhouse for citrus fruits)
- a chapel,
- the majestic Italian garden
- the terrace
- the saltwater swimming pool, covered with mosaics
- the pool house.
The lands are then enriched by:
- an orchard
- an olive grove
- a wooded area with old trees.
14,000 square feet of living space in the mansion/castle feature:
- 11 bedrooms
- 5 bathrooms
- different reception rooms
- the main living room, which opens onto the terraces surrounding the house.
And also, the main body of the castle/villa is provided with:
- an art studio,
- an ample space converted into a home gym
- a cellar,
- an independent apartment for the staff with two bedrooms, with a private entrance from the parking lot.
Why buy this property
It is a truly exceptional property in the typical Tuscan countryside, with great potential in one of Italy’s most sought-after destinations for boutique tourism.
The property lends itself to modern multifunctional uses:
- if you are thinking of a conversion of the property for hospitality purposes (boutique hotel or agritourism activities), the property is already well prepared for an internal subdivision into different apartments;
- the position on the hills, the surrounding spaces in the most absolute are also ideal for hosting small groups of guests to whom the typical services of a Didactic Farm (yoga, pilates, meditation, painting, etc.);
- it can be a private home for your family for short and repeated holiday periods;
- it can be the ideal place to retire.
The property is on the hills between Pontassieve and Rufina, part of the vast Chianti area towards the north, just 25 km from Florence.
The area shows the typical characteristics that have made the Tuscan countryside famous all over the world: rolling hills with cypresses, olive groves, and vineyards; farmhouses and farms scattered near villages and ancient churches, small discreet centers, today modernly structured and which coexist organically with nature and the surrounding places.
The area is renowned today for many reasons linked to its generous territory and its millenary history. It is the area of:
- prestigious wine production that boasts the Chianti DOCG mark (Controlled and Guaranteed Designation of Origin);
- excursions through paths to visit Medici villas and castles, ancient farms that produce high-quality wines and olive oil (La Strada Dei Vini), churches, convents, and parish churches of old memory;
- small and fascinating museums that keep alive the testimonies of the activities and traditions of the mountains and hills (Museum of the Vine and Wine);
- fairs and village festivals that take place at various times of the year in honor of the typical products and traditions of this land;
- naturalistic excursions, ideal for groups of friends and family, or relieving individual retreats, walking through the quiet of the woods to reach waterfalls and springs, natural reserves such as that of Lake Falgano, capable of giving unique suggestions.
Various historical testimonies date back to the 9th century BC, with Etruscan and Roman remains. Other evidence comes from the Middle Ages and then again from the Renaissance, which confirms settlements of monks’ convents. Subsequently, the area saw a demographic expansion with the construction of farms and manor houses.
Still clearly visible are the evidence of ancient architecture, such as the 11th-century Torre di Monte Bonello and its tiny village. Other testimonies come from several churches, such as the Church of Santo Stefano in Castiglioni, which displays a 14th-century pictorial table; the Church of Santa Maria a Falgano, with a gabled façade with a single entrance portal surmounted by a small eye. Also valuable is the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine ai Fossi, of medieval origin, located along the ancient mule track that connected the two different contiguous areas of the Casentino and Val di Sieve.
The property is just a few kilometers from the nearest towns of Rufina town and Pontassieve with all the services (schools, hospitals, centers of worship, sports facilities, libraries, shopping centers, etc.). You can reach these centers by convenient state roads that pass through beautiful natural landscapes that flank the Arno river up to the center of Florence, about 25 km away.
Distance from major centers and airports.
Florence City Center: 25 km.
Arezzo: 69 km
Siena: 90 Km
Lucca: 106 km
Pisa: 114 km
Bologna: 133 km
Rome: 267 km
Milan: 328 km
Amerigo Vespucci-Florence Airport: 32 km.
Pisa International Airport: 109 km
Bologna International Airport: 130 km