Eco-sustainable Farmhouse in the Tuscan hills.
The property is in Reggello, 30 km from Florence. It consists of a former Convent transformed into a large farmhouse with the surrounding land.
It dates back to the 14th century and is rich in history and tradition: a humble peasant farmhouse, then a hunting lodge of a noble Florentine family, then it became the Convent of the Sisters of Nevers, up to the present-day private residence.
A profound renovation in 2011 has transformed this former convent into a real jewel of a farmhouse. It is the unique result of the union between the suggestive secular architectures combined with modern technologies, which make it today a property entirely devoted to Eco-sustainability:
- photovoltaic panels of 7 kw/h with the resale of surplus electricity produced to the National Energy System;
- solar thermal panels for an average production of 500 liters of hot water for sanitary use,
- rainwater recovery tanks in cisterns total of 70 cubic meters, with complete autonomy for the irrigation of vegetables and gardens and for systems connected to toilets.
- Bio-pool with a natural Phyto-purification system.
Buy a Convent in Tuscany near Florence
The Convent is today a Farmhouse.
The structural parts have undergone a conservative renovation and they come with a ventilated roof for effective hot/cold insulation and Tuscan stone facades waterproofed with resin.
The internal surface of the main building is 434 square meters and spreads over 3 levels.
It has two separate entrances on different sides.
On the one hand, you have access to :
- 1 large living area with fireplace and bookcase in solid chestnut;
- 1 dining area with bar and pizza oven;
- 1 large kitchen, perfectly equipped to meet the needs of large family groups with guests and for events;
- 1 toilet service
. the other side leads to a private area, structured like a mini apartment (28 square meters) with a kitchenette, double bedroom, bathroom, and small terrace with access to the outside.
The spaces can accommodate large family groups and guests:
- 1 suite of 35 square meters (a real independent apartment );
- 5 double bedrooms, each with shower and toilet;
- 2 service bathrooms.
In the basement, at the garden level, there is the Wellness Area which includes:
- relax area
- fitness area
- panoramic whirlpool tub.
The renovation has been made with quality materials: floors in sandblasted porcelain stoneware in a wood-like style, fire-resistant solid chestnut doors, pipes, and high-level thermo-sanitary systems.
Farmhouse in Tuscany with a Bio-Pool Eco-Sustainable: live in a dream.
- The Bio-Swimming Pool: the surrounding land extends for 1740 square meters, arranged on several terraced levels and connected by comfortable stone stairs. Fruit trees and valuable trees surround a lovely swimming pool, designed with eco-sustainability in mind. It is a Bio-Swimming Pool with water equipped with a natural Phyto-purification system, without chemicals or chlorine. In case, the pool easily converts into a chlorine or polyphosphate system. This whole area is set in a solarium, sheltered from the wind.
The property is on a hill at 470 meters above sea level.
- The Climate: the southern exposure and the northern protection of the Pratomagno mountain relief make the climate of this place dry and mild in winter and cool in summer, caressed by a soft breeze.
- The large terrace adjacent to the farmhouse allows for an incomparable view of the Valdarno valley and of the small villages scattered in the typically Tuscan countryside. The terrace was repaved with the recovery of the original stones. A technical solution allows rainwater to be channeled towards a single collection grid, so that the terrace becomes dry again in a short time, even in the event of thunderstorms and downpours.
- A small bowling green comes in a secluded area in the garden.
- The Car parking is on 2 levels: on the upper level for 4-5 cars, and on the lower level, it has an access ramp where it is possible to park another 3 cars.
Eco Farmhouses for sale in Tuscany, Italy: why invest in it
It meets the expectations of those looking for a property:
- to be enjoyed all year round, ideal for the private use of large families and guests,
- located outside the cities and in contact with nature;
- in the hills with a favorable climate all year round;
- with excellent logistics near Florence;
- suitable for whoever thinks of relocating to Tuscany in search of a more relaxed and sustainable standard of living.
It is also a suitable structure for those wishing to organize a small reception activity in certain periods of the year, for a limited number of guests or the organization of a so-called “Educational Farm”.
A bit of history of the Farmhouse.
In the 14th century it was a humble peasant cottage: in its square yard wheat was threshed and in its large oven bread was baked for the families of the whole area. Then it became the hunting lodge of a noble Florentine family, later a Convent and a place of prayer for the Sisters of Nevers. Even today, visible traces of the convent chapel remain in one of the rooms.
The surrounding nature is generous with sunsets and fairytale landscapes and an inspiring quiet. Here you can also breathe the centuries-old history of the places: the small villages of the Valdarno have been elected a Unesco world heritage site.
In the same area, there are famous destinations for sober “religious tourism”, such as the famous Benedictine Abbey of Vallombrosa and the Casentino with the religious hermitages of La Verna and Camaldoli.
A curiosity: this property also hides something “magical and mysterious”, given by the singular phenomenon of an almond tree that flowers in January, when only for a few days the surrounding nature is covered with snow. This phenomenon comes from the particular microclimate that develops in this corner of the hill. Someone prefers to believe it happens because of the mystical and spiritual aura that permeates the place.
The property is located in the Municipality of Reggello. The villa is in a privileged geographical position.
It is located on the famous Strada dei Setteponti built in the Medici era to connect Florence with the southern areas of Tuscany towards Rome.
The location is strategic for visiting Florence 25 km away only, the Chianti area, and the whole region. Services and transport are very efficient. The place is easily accessible by car a few kilometers from the A1 motorway (Firenze Sud or Firenze Incisa exit). It is a short distance from Reggello, Incisa, and Rignano sull’ Arno, where all the services, shops, bus stations, and the railway station are.
Distance from major cities and airports.
- Florence historic center: 25 km
- Florence railway station: 20 km
- Greve in Chianti: 25 km
- Arezzo: 60 km
- San Gimignano: 65 km
- Siena: 80 km,
- Pisa: 100 km
- Lucca: 100 km
- Viareggio and Forte dei Marmi: 100 km.
- Pienza and Val d’Orcia Unesco sites: about 100 km
- Rome: 250 km
- Milan: 330 km
- Florence airport: 30 km
- Pisa airport: 100 km
- Bologna airport: 135 km